Best Yet Knurling Tool
I thought I would share my cool knurling tool with you guys since its something a little different from the norm.

It's the best knurling tool I've found and appropriately named the "Best Yet" knurling tool form SPI. It uses two opposed knurls, each mounted in a square holder that can be quickly changed out for various pitches and types of knurls. It is much more rigid than a scissors type due to the solid frame and screw adjustments and readily mounts in a quick change tool post or a drill chuck. The knurl shown below took less than a minute to set up and was to proper depth the second pass. It works equally well on any material and with any pitch, and once you get it set up you can run as many parts as you like and they will all be identical. I'm not sure if SPI still makes this model, but it's a pretty simple design and would make a fairly easy project to build. The frame is aluminum and the knurl holders are hardened steel.

Tom

[Image: 008.JPG]

[Image: 010_1.JPG]

[Image: 011.JPG]
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by: EdK
MSC has it Tom.

"Billy G"

http://www1.mscdirect.com/eCommerce/Navi...e+Knurlers
Thanks given by:
Nice post Tom, i wonder if anyone in Canada carries this product?
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
Wow, that almost rivals a cut knurler!

Ed
Thanks given by:
Tom,

Produces a very nice knurl Thumbsup Worthy
It doesn't look too difficult to make.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
I added another pic, but there seriously isn't much to the design. In fact, if I knew how simple it was, I would have made one myself instead of buying it. Bill: Thanks for the link, I didn't think it was still offered.

I used it a couple years ago to make some steel rollers for a grain mill (homebrewing) and used really coarse 12 pitch knurls in it and it worked like a champ. The rollers were about 10" long so I removed the end of the frame so they could pass right through.

Tom
Thanks given by:
Umm,, so Tom , HOW was the Homebrew!? Lol
Thanks given by:
Tom, what does SPI stand for?

Tried googling them, but didn't see that knurler.
Thanks given by:
Lol, the homebrew was and is great. In fact I'm enjoying a delicious porter as I type. Smiley-eatdrink004

SPI stands for Swiss Precision Instruments. Bill pointed out that it is available from MSC (for a mere $273.45 Yikes).

Tom
Thanks given by:
(11-09-2012, 06:07 PM)TomG Wrote: I'm enjoying a delicious porter as I type. Smiley-eatdrink004

Tom

OK, rub it in damn it! Big Grin

Ed
Thanks given by: