Looking for Recommendations on RT
Hi,

It looks like I my have a few extra dineros at my disposal. And I think I would like to add a horizontal/vertical rotary table to my Grizzly G0704 mill.

I think a 6" size should be appropriate for my mill. I have so far looked at Grizzly and CDCO. Both offer a 6" with a dividing set to go with. Grizzly comes all together, CDCO the dividing plate kit is extra. Price difference is about twenty bucks. I've perused eBay a bit but haven't seen anything in that size range.

I understand Chinese RT can suffer variable QC. So does anyone have other recommendations? Have an RT from Grizzly or CDCO?

As usual, all comments, insights, jokes and stories are welcome.Rotfl

dalee
dalee, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Aug 2012.
Thanks given by:
(11-17-2012, 07:43 PM)dalee Wrote: Hi,

It looks like I my have a few extra dineros at my disposal. And I think I would like to add a horizontal/vertical rotary table to my Grizzly G0704 mill.

I think a 6" size should be appropriate for my mill. I have so far looked at Grizzly and CDCO. Both offer a 6" with a dividing set to go with. Grizzly comes all together, CDCO the dividing plate kit is extra. Price difference is about twenty bucks. I've perused eBay a bit but haven't seen anything in that size range.

I understand Chinese RT can suffer variable QC. So does anyone have other recommendations? Have an RT from Grizzly or CDCO?

As usual, all comments, insights, jokes and stories are welcome.Rotfl

dalee

I bought a Grizzly setup which is so so. If I had it to do over, I would buy a Phase II Rotary table. They seem to offer the best quality for a low price.
henryarnold, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:
Dalee,
I have a 8 inch Vertex, they're made in Taiwan, don't think I could bring myself to buy Chinese, the quality just isn't there. Anytime I use the rotary table you seam to be looking for precision, not sure it would be there in the Chinese flavour. I also have a Vertex dividing head, bought it first thinking it would do all I needed. Could live without the dividing head easier than the rotary table. They both use the same dividing plates which is nice.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
I have both a 6" and a 10" Grizzly RTs, both are very usable. Both are smooth and work as intended, I've had no issues with either of them.
jack
Thanks given by:
I got a Phase II 8" complete with tailstock and dividing plates and am completely happy with it. YMMV.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Hi,

I've used a 12" Phase2 years ago and was less than impressed. Couldn't keep the worm adjusted right. It was always loosening up. Still, over all it was well made and heavier than potato klub, (Minnesotans will know what I meanRotfl).

Weight could be a problem for my mill. Max table load is listed at 120lbs. And I know the better ones tend to weight a lot. So, if I add a chuck or other fixture it could quickly overload the mill. On the other hand, at 26lbs. that may mean less rigidity. Maybe it doesn't matter much on a benchtop machine. Ed, what's your guess on the weight of your 8" Phase2?

I might be leaning to the Grizzly because it's a complete kit with the plates and generally Grizzly sells decent tools. But I've never had much need for dividing in the past. And I do have 5C collet blocks and a spindexer for my simple needs. So the extra cost of the Phase2 RT alone becomes very competitive with a full RT/divider kit. Add in some free shipping from Enco, and it looks quite nice. Vertex is available from Amazon and the shipping isn't bad. The Grizzly looks to be a dead ringer for the Vertex though. And not all Grizzly products are Chinese made. But there ain't no way to tell until you get it.

This ain't getting easier.Chin

dalee
dalee, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Aug 2012.
Thanks given by:
(11-18-2012, 11:58 AM)dalee Wrote: Hi,

I've used a 12" Phase2 years ago and was less than impressed. Couldn't keep the worm adjusted right. It was always loosening up. Still, over all it was well made and heavier than potato klub, (Minnesotans will know what I meanRotfl).

Weight could be a problem for my mill. Max table load is listed at 120lbs. And I know the better ones tend to weight a lot. So, if I add a chuck or other fixture it could quickly overload the mill. On the other hand, at 26lbs. that may mean less rigidity. Maybe it doesn't matter much on a benchtop machine. Ed, what's your guess on the weight of your 8" Phase2?

I might be leaning to the Grizzly because it's a complete kit with the plates and generally Grizzly sells decent tools. But I've never had much need for dividing in the past. And I do have 5C collet blocks and a spindexer for my simple needs. So the extra cost of the Phase2 RT alone becomes very competitive with a full RT/divider kit. Add in some free shipping from Enco, and it looks quite nice. Vertex is available from Amazon and the shipping isn't bad. The Grizzly looks to be a dead ringer for the Vertex though. And not all Grizzly products are Chinese made. But there ain't no way to tell until you get it.

This ain't getting easier.Chin

dalee

Dalee,

It's about 75lbs IIRC. 17428

Ed
Thanks given by:
My dad bought a 10" Phase II shortly after getting the Bridgeport. His is a vertical-horizontal style that can sit in either orientation. I found a new matching tailstock for it on eBay some years later, paid $26 for it, a little more than half of the $47 it cost to ship it.

He also has the hex and square 5C collet blocks, and a Phase II 5C spindexer. I would say the spindexer gets the most use of any of the choices.
Thanks given by:
The biggest problem I've had with my 10" RT is the weight, at about 115#, is more that I want to lift, with the 10" chuck at an additional 60#, a back killer. Thats why I ended up putting a Job crane on the Frank-Mill, So I didn't have to ded lift anymore.
jack
Thanks given by:
My rotab is a no-name 10", quality is sub-par but I haven't gone wanting for more table. Better too big than too small, but that depends on what your projects are. I've a small-ish dividing head; poor accuracy ensures that gears I make are small. Out around 8" and the tooth spacing is pretty bad. Within .005", and that's after I ran-in the worm with a drill motor where the crank normally goes. The worm wheel is off center. Another problem is the hole spacing - the error as much as .020". Both of these I got from a local tool dealer, thinking I'd be safe. There are holes drilled where tags go, but nobody saw fit to attach their name... A red flag I didn't heed and just assumed things were as they should be.

I'd stay away from CDCO as much as possible. He'll send you junk and double tap your credit card. Difficult to get him to resolve problems that he creates. I will say that his 5" 3-jaw chucks are pretty decent, within .001" runnout, although light on gripping power. I bought three of them before my luck ran out in doing business with him, but if your future rotab doesn't come with a chuck you might want to try one of them.

An example of poor quality would be his magnetic travel indicator. First time I used it the mag pulled right off of the base. The dial sticks. Similar problems with a coaxial, just junk. He'll probably sell you a Rolex watch for $5 too (and charge your card $10). Buyer beware.
Thanks given by: