MetalworkingFun Forum
Dumpster Dive Results - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Dumpster Dive Results (/thread-2076.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: Dumpster Dive Results - RobWilson - 05-16-2015

Hi Lads 

I could mount  the tool post grinder on the shaper  Rotfl   ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,been done before  Big Grin

Rob 

RE: Dumpster Dive Results - Dr Stan - 05-16-2015

(05-15-2015, 02:26 PM)Vinny Wrote: Yeah, they just go in the opposite direction.

Doers that mean they increase ones IQ?  Big Grin

RE: Dumpster Dive Results - Mayhem - 05-16-2015

(05-16-2015, 10:42 AM)Dr Stan Wrote:
(05-15-2015, 02:26 PM)Vinny Wrote: Yeah, they just go in the opposite direction.

Doers that mean they increase ones IQ?  Big Grin

Undoubtedly  Big Grin

RE: Dumpster Dive Results - Hopefuldave - 06-06-2015

Well, I've wanted a shop press for a while, and after they took the full skip away this week, pickings looked slim until contractors dumped some junk...

A Fenner hydraulic power pack, 1 HP 240v motor, the pressure switch is labelled for 2000 psi but appears to be adjustable (risky?), electrical shuttle valve for ram in and out (assuming double-acting)... There's a quick-release hydraulic outlet on it too, and it all seems to work (haven't yet found the right adaptor to put a pressure gauge on the output hose - there were a couple of gauges, too!)

[attachment=10968]

Some Useful channel, four pieces 135x35mm with 5mm web (approx 5" x 1-3/4" x 3/16" in real money), 1m45 (56") each, and some Sturdy Steel Angle (almost 2.4m, 96") to make the feet for stability and tie the uprights together...

[attachment=10969][attachment=10970]

OK, so Those Who Know - assuming a single piece of the channel for the uprights, 20mm bars to sit a pair of 28" long channels (bolted together with sturdy welded-in spacers) on for the moving table, pair the same size bolted and welded for the top of the frame, what's a reasonably safe max tonnage for the frame? With a 11 square-inch ram it should give 10 tons, my back-of-a-fag-packet calculations suggest it'd move at about 1mm/second (25 seconds per inch), am I way off? Is it feasible to set up two rams (to allow for the narrow gap between the top rails) with an equaliiser bar to share the load between?

I also got (last week) the frame for a new bench, 100" x 44", that's up in the garage-of-danger now topped with 3/4" hardwood ply, followed by a pair of 36" square x 3" deep steel drawers complete with ball-bearing slides, need to bracketise them to fit under the Big Bench. Which is already covered in junk in need of sorting and storing. :( This week, a smaller 1" box-section bench frame, only 24" x 60", which needs plates welded to the legs for castors and a 1" MDF top (castors from AldoLidl, bless 'em, MDF also scrounged today!)

Yes, I know, several Lovelaces of suckage...

Cheers all,
Dave H. (the other one)

RE: Dumpster Dive Results - dallen - 06-06-2015

looks like standard JIC fittings on the pump.

Speed is going to depend on what the pump is designed to flow.

RE: Dumpster Dive Results - EdK - 06-06-2015

You Suck You Suck You Suck

RE: Dumpster Dive Results - Vinny - 06-06-2015

You Suck You Suck You Suck

RE: Dumpster Dive Results - Hopefuldave - 06-17-2015

Yeah, I know, I know...

Donation from the bulletiin board at work - I missed quite a bit of more general metrology kit, was too busy on the day it was posted (damn customers, it'd be a brilliant job without 'em...), but at least I didn't have to dive in the skip for it!

[attachment=11067]

Left to right, top to bottom, a nice cast iron box square, Mercer sheet measurement clock, 0-2" bench micrometer, set of metric Mitutoyo micrometer bore gauges, BIG Moore and Wright bore gauge , another, set of smaller  Mitutoyo micrometer bore gauges, metric and imperial micrometer heads for the 2" bench micrometer, 1/2 thou" and 0,05mm dial indicators, 25-800mm bore micrometer kit...

I wish I'd seen it earlier, there was a full set of lab' grade gauge blocks in Imperial sizes... I''d have killed for those!

RE: Dumpster Dive Results - Vinny - 06-17-2015

You Suck You Suck You Suck You Suck

RE: Dumpster Dive Results - EdK - 06-17-2015

You think You Suck ed before.

You Suck You Suck You Suck You Suck You Suck You Suck You Suck You Suck You Suck You Suck

Ed