Todays Project - What did you do today?
Greg,

I *so* envy your skills and the results! I can only dream about ever having cabinets of that quality.

So do you have a wife who appreciates that work? When you say "upper cabinets", are you planning to have something hanging down from the ceiling above those you just installed?
Thanks given by:
Greg, beautiful! (as usual).
Elaine and I are trying to plan a kitchen reno, any chance you'd like a Nova Scotia getaway? Rotfl
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Beautiful work Greg. I love the cherry in that style of cabinet.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Nice job Greg. Thumbsup

It must have been a challenge gluing up that large of a top. I assume it's glued and bolted benchtop style?

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Absolutely beautiful Greg Worthy
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys.
These cabinets aren't for me, just a side income. There's another set that go on the wall, the overhead cabinets will be above them. As for a wife, no lost her to cancer must be 18 years back, raised the kids with a hired nanny and A LOT of patience, not with the kids, with having a hired hand in the house, retiring and getting rid of staff was a highlight of my life. Had one claim she was quitting while I was stuck across the country then 200 miles off Newfoundland on a rig. Sorry for the rant.
No rod Tom, I've done that in work benches, on the ones that didn't have the ends plugged I could see the rod come loose as the wood moved so I don't bother anymore. Jus anchor it in the middle of the cabinets and let it float.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(08-18-2014, 09:06 PM)PixMan Wrote: Steve,

I've got a horizontal/vertical rotary table with a matching tailstock that's been used perhaps twice in it's life. If you ever want to borrow it for a while let me know and I'll run it up to you. Company car, company fuel so no cost to me other than a little windshield time which I don't mind a bit.

Just ping me.

Ken

Thanks Ken, that's very generous! I'd be afraid to damage it, and it would not have a safe life in the frightening shambles I try to work in now. I'm going to try to build a real workshop this fall, if I can

But very kind of you to offer! If I ever really really need one in a pinch I promise to ask.Smile
Thanks given by:
Steve,

I'm really not at all worried about you damaging it in any way, as I can see from your work that you are skilled and careful. I don't use the rotary table much because I've got a 2-axis Prototrak control on my Alliant mill that makes perfect circles and arcs.

I also have a tilting Walter dividing head that also has a matching tailstock, so if I need something like that I'm more inclined to give that a try. I've yet to use it in the few months since I bought it off of Craigslist, just waiting for the right opportunity. It's much more precise than a Yuasa rotary table, just doesn't have a 10" table like the Yuasa. I do have a Rohm 3-jaw chuck, a center and dog driver, and a collet chuck with a single oddball style 1/2" collet though. Big Grin
Thanks given by: vtsteam
Sorry more wood
A buddy brought me this burl growing on an Iron Wood tree.

[Image: IMG_1333.jpg]

After a couple of hours on the lathe.

[Image: IMG_1335.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1336.jpg]
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
It's not really a project, but it is something mechanical.

My kid tried to drown the dirt bike when he got it bogged down crossing a stream and it sank in the silt. Luckily he had enough signal on his phone to get a text out and my brother in law showed up and winched him out. It started and seemed to run ok so he headed back but it stopped dead a mile down the trail. This time there was no help to be had so he started walking it. Eventually someone came by and gave him a ride back to the cabin. He went back and managed to get the bike in the truck by himself (not sure how) and brought it back down with him.

We went through it last night and there was a little water in the crankcase, but nothing we could see in the induction system and the piston was still connected to the crank. That was surprising since he said it was up to the carb in the stream. We changed out the fluids, put it back together and it fired right up. The only thing I could find that would have stranded him was that the wires were pulled out of the kill switch. I suspect that happened when he winched the bike out of the stream and then one of them found its way against the handlebars on the ride and killed the ignition.

I think he learned a couple of good lessons like never ride alone, especially in the wilderness (duh) and momentum is your friend when crossing water (duh again).

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by: