The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (FreeBSD)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Carriage Drilling Adapter
A friend of mine made one of these a few months ago. I thought he meant something you attach to the carriage so you could drill sideways through the work held in the headstock. Turns out, it is intended to hold a chuck or tapered-shank drill bit on the carriage so you can drill longitudinally into the work spinning on the headstock. Confused yet?

I started with a block of steel 3" x 2 1/2" x 2" and notched it to mount in the four-way toolpost. Then I drilled and bored it to hold an R8-to-MT3 adapter I had on hand.

Two comments at this point. First, if you don't have a boring head, consider getting one. Normally used on a mill, they can be useful on a lathe. Second, if you are boring into a piece on the carriage, or using the drilling adapter, you will need a crossfeed lock. If you don't already have one, add one. It can be as simple as replacing one gib screw with a setscrew that can easily be tightened and loosened.

Once the block was bored to a snug slip fit for the MT3 adapter, it was drilled and tapped to take two 3/8" SHCSs. Then on to the horizontal mill to slit in to the bored hole.

The drilling adapter is used as shown to hold a tapered-shank bit ...

Or a chuck - anything on an MT3 shank, including the boring head.

Now, if you're wondering why bother, when I'm drilling a really deep hole through stock held in the spindle, it takes a lot of cranking to move the bit in and out of the work to clear chips and add oil. The crank on the carriage is a lot faster, plus, I can now use power feed when it's appropriate.
Mike

If you can't get one, make one.

Hawkeye, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Carriage Drilling Adapter - by Hawkeye - 03-31-2014, 08:27 PM
RE: Carriage Drilling Adapter - by PixMan - 03-31-2014, 08:42 PM
RE: Carriage Drilling Adapter - by the penguin - 04-05-2014, 10:47 AM
RE: Carriage Drilling Adapter - by Micktoon - 04-01-2014, 03:36 AM
RE: Carriage Drilling Adapter - by Hawkeye - 04-01-2014, 08:48 PM
RE: Carriage Drilling Adapter - by PixMan - 04-05-2014, 07:21 PM
RE: Carriage Drilling Adapter - by f350ca - 04-05-2014, 07:38 PM
RE: Carriage Drilling Adapter - by Mayhem - 04-05-2014, 11:10 PM