Best penetrating oil
What's the best penetrating oil?  There are a lot of opinions out there, some based on experience, AKA subjective data.  i was e-mail this link to a video of a guy who put together a scientific test to see if he could come up with a objective data based answer.

You can view it here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUEob2oAKVs
Thanks given by:
Interesting.
Guess I'll keep using the ATF/acetone mixture. It's cheap (like me) and effective. Big Grin

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Looks like I'll stick with ATF and Acetone as well. Wonder which one works quickest, my attention deficit disorder would never let them soak for 3 hours. Soak, pull on wrench, round nut or break off bolt, then drill it out.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
I've been making my own for years. It's a well known "secret" on automotive forums.

Also works well for a parts wash, like when you're scrubbing all the accumulated junk off a part with a wire brush.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
The neighbor swears by Kroil. I've seen it loosen up some really stuck stuff.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
Yet it ranked second from last on the test. Other than heat, I don't think any of them do much to break loose a rusted bolt. Other than Liquid Wrench, most of them only reduced the breakaway torque by around 5%. Where the oils do help is in keeping a nut from seizing on a rusty bolt after it does break loose. Then, pretty much any oil will work.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
After my house fire, I picked up a can of something called Javelin at Restore. When I was cleaning and reconditioning my machines, if I had a nut that the wrench wouldn't move, I gave it a shot of javelin. Within seconds, the same wrench would spin it loose. I don't know what's in it, but it definitely had some nasty solvents.

I haven't heard of this stuff before or since, but it does work.
Mike

If you can't get one, make one.

Hawkeye, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
Interesting replies.  I always swore by Kroil, but like most was put off by the price.

As previously stated a like bit of prevention is the best cure.  I learned about Never Seize when I worked for a short time in a Florida boat yard after my stint in the US Navy.  Amazing how it would keep aluminum housings & steel fasteners and of course steel on steel from becoming a solid unit in salt water.  It's also the best battery terminal corrosion prevention material I've ever used.  I also always use it on wheel lug bolts/nuts.

I also give a +1 for heat when ever possible.  When I tore down a '68 Mustang for rebuild I only broke one bolt by using WD-40 or heat when it appeared to be necessary.  Keep in mind it had been a North Dakota car, lots of road salt.

Hawkeye, can you post a pic of the can of Javelin?
Thanks given by:
(01-15-2019, 12:51 PM)Dr Stan Wrote: Hawkeye, can you post a pic of the can of Javelin?

Here it is.

Mike

If you can't get one, make one.

Hawkeye, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
Hawkeye,

For what it's worth I found a place selling it...

Javelin @ AMRE Supply

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by: