New Log Splitter
Special camera that doesn't show the crap. Or maybe because I never put tools or parts on the floor because I'd have to bend down to pick them up. Ya, that's it.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Here's a coupla pics of the semi-complete splitter.

I filled her up with hydraulic fluid, fired it up and cycled it and then refilled a few times until I had it pretty well bled out.
I hadn't noticed in a prior run-up of the 8hp snowblower engine that the new carb has a different throttle actuator that turns opposite to the governor rod (wire) push so I'll have to mount a little bellcrank to change push to pull. I used a manual throttle for the following tests.
I tested the log lifter on a nice big (17"D) Oak log and it lifted it up with no problem (my back was applauding).
Also the wedge "backer" didn't back up the wedge it bent at the weakest point so I think I'll replace it with a triangular shaped backer that will have more material at the stress point. I didn't realize how much tilt the wedge would do in it's socket.
I'll fix the governor throttle linkage and do some more splitting tests.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
That's a beastly log splitter Steve. It sounds like the dry run was pretty productive.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by: stevec
Now that's a man's log splitter. Thumbsup

Ed
Thanks given by: stevec
One fine log splitter ThumbsupSmiley-signs107
So how does it work?
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Well Dave, I split a nice big 16" long 17" diameter log without having to lift it up to the working height I prefer. So, I guess it works GREAT! I have some bugs to work out and changes to make but that's the way I work, design by building.
Thanks given by:
Well done Steve!!!!!!!!!!
What bent? What you have is pretty similar to what I was planning for the splitter on the processor.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Great splitter project. The older we all get it sure is nice to have a splitter.
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
(05-29-2013, 06:38 PM)f350ca Wrote: What bent?

Here's a couple of pics of the bend/tear and potential repair.
In the second pic the red arrow "A" shows the tear at the weak point.
The white triangle "B" shows the possible "gusset" solution. I'll have to remove the wheels and plug the filler neck in order to rotate the machine onto one side then the other as I only do horizontal welds

I was surprised that the wedge had so much rock/tilt in it's "socket".
That's what the backer was supposed to resist.
Thanks given by:
Thanks Steve. Guess we should never underestimate the power of hydraulics. For reference what size and height is the backer?
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by: