Gas Not Getting To Nozzle
Admitting to having a bottle of nozzle gel is certainly something I would not put on the "net". RotflRotfl
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(09-15-2013, 04:39 PM)stevec Wrote: Admitting to having a bottle of nozzle gel is certainly something I would not put on the "net". RotflRotfl

Rotfl

It's a jar, not a bottle. Big Grin

Ed
Thanks given by:
(09-15-2013, 03:11 PM)EdK Wrote: ...After thinking about it I think that even though the O-rings looked good, one of them probably wasn't sealing tightly and when I pushed it back into the welder I got it seated in further and it sealed. That's my best guess anyway.
Oh, and I do have a jar of nozzle gel.

Ed

I'll buy that for a dollar. Big Grin
Good job of troubleshooting.

Good beads Ed, but they look a tad cold. Bump up the voltage knob a bit next time and you'll notice that the edges will "wet out" better and flow into the parent metal more smoothly, and not have the lumpy outline.
(Unless you were in Auto-Set mode - in which case you would bump up the wire feed instead.)

Smiley-gen163
Willie
Thanks given by:
(09-15-2013, 06:23 PM)Highpower Wrote:
(09-15-2013, 03:11 PM)EdK Wrote: ...After thinking about it I think that even though the O-rings looked good, one of them probably wasn't sealing tightly and when I pushed it back into the welder I got it seated in further and it sealed. That's my best guess anyway.
Oh, and I do have a jar of nozzle gel.

Ed

I'll buy that for a dollar. Big Grin
Good job of troubleshooting.

Good beads Ed, but they look a tad cold. Bump up the voltage knob a bit next time and you'll notice that the edges will "wet out" better and flow into the parent metal more smoothly, and not have the lumpy outline.
(Unless you were in Auto-Set mode - in which case you would bump up the wire feed instead.)

Smiley-gen163

Willie,

I was in auto-set mode. I think they look lumpy because I was not keeping the stick-out consistent and I was probably moving too slow. More practice should help with that.

Ed
Thanks given by:
When I went to use the gas on my used Arc/TIG/plasma, there was no gas flow. (Don't worry - I know there won't be in arc mode.) Turns out, there was some kind of bug nest in the gas/air outlet at the front of the machine. I think it had only ever been used for arc welding, leaving the outlet as a welcoming hotel.
Mike

If you can't get one, make one.

Hawkeye, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
I fired up the welder today and had the problem of no gas flow again. I fiddle with the connection inside the welder as I did before and it started working. Time to take it apart and find out why I'm not getting a consistent gas flow.

I ran some beads for practice. Ignore the beads crossed out in red. They were from last weekends practice. Also ignore the bottom bead in the last picture. That was the first one I ran today and it was obvious the gas wasn't flowing so I aborted and fixed it.

I know my stick-out is inconsistent and my starts suck, evidenced by the pieces of wire on a couple of them. I'm having a hard time seeing the wire because my garage is so dark that I can't see how far away the wire is from the metal. Time to get some lighting set up so I can see better.

Ed

Thanks given by:
Some more practice beads. Some of those are pretty crappy. I was experimenting with the gun travel.

Ed

Thanks given by:
Hi
ED
What sort of welding mask are you using
You should be able to weld in the dark once the ark has started
Some decent looking beads you have produced
John
Thanks given by:
Trim your wire stick out where you like it each time before you strike the next arc. Depending what part i am welding at work i usually break my wire flush with the tip then tap the trigger so its there. But i am using gas flux core and it really doesn't like to start on the ball in the wire end...Bob
Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Birthplace of the Silver and Deming drill bit.
5 Lathes, SBL Shaper, Lewis Mill, 7 drill presses, 5 welders...
Thanks given by:
(09-21-2013, 02:38 PM)doubleboost Wrote: Hi
ED
What sort of welding mask are you using
You should be able to weld in the dark once the ark has started
Some decent looking beads you have produced
John

John,

I have this auto darkening helmet.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/p..._200416894

It's a real nice helmet and I've been very happy with it. The problem I'm having is the poor lighting in the garage. I couldn't see where the wire was to start the arc. I set up a light on a stand so it aims down at an angle and that made a big difference.

Ed
Thanks given by: