Making A Welding Table
(09-21-2013, 06:06 AM)stevec Wrote: As well as this being "the land of you can't get that here" it's also "the land of you can't get that DONE here." Rant

Big Grin

Smiley-signs107
It's a shame that supposed adults cannot even type on a public forum with out including cuss words. Have common courtesy to control your tongue & fingers.
Thanks given by:
Should the table top be welded to the frame or can you bolt it? I'd be concerned that welding it to the frame would cause it to distort.

Thanks,
Ed
Thanks given by:
Short stitch welds shouldn't warp 1/2 inch plate. Gravity should hold it there for the most part.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by: EdK
I did what Greg did. A few good inch long welds every 6" or so.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by: EdK
I took John's suggestion and doubled up on the lower front and rear rails.

Ed

Thanks given by:
Did you know 42" = 1066mm and 1066(AD) was the date of the 'Battle of Hastings'
Just thought I would mention it Big Grin
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(09-23-2013, 10:38 AM)DaveH Wrote: Did you know 42" = 1066mm and 1066(AD) was the date of the 'Battle of Hastings'
Just thought I would mention it Big Grin
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Too much coffee today Dave? Smile

Ed
Thanks given by:
Ed, just thinking out loud -45deg bracing the table top frame to the legs is better than that vertical middle piece. It will also help the stiffness when pushing it.

It does mean the drawers won't open Bash but if you move the drawers to the sides then they will Big Grin

Just a thought
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Ed, I don't think the "doubling" of the front rails nor the 45° bracing are at all necessary.
But then I don't know the Tonnage of capacity reqired..
Dave, wasn't "1066" when "arold got an eyeful of arrow"? Rotfl
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(09-23-2013, 11:50 AM)stevec Wrote: Dave, wasn't "1066" when "arold got an eyeful of arrow"? Rotfl
He sure did Rotfl It's fine keeping ones eye on the ball but not on an arrow Rotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: