Making A Welding Table
Thinking something like this.

The drawers can go in the sides, the bottom rails can be used as a support for a 'shelf'
It will be a lot stronger and stiffer than having a centre support.

That's my thinking done for the day Big Grin
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

PS. The colour looks good Rotfl
Thanks given by:
(09-23-2013, 11:50 AM)stevec Wrote: Ed, I don't think the "doubling" of the front rails nor the 45° bracing are at all necessary.
But then I don't know the Tonnage of capacity required..

Steve,

I'm thinking the same. After all we're talking about only a couple of hundred pounds of load distributed over the frame. 17428

Ed
Thanks given by:
(09-23-2013, 01:24 PM)DaveH Wrote: Thinking something like this.

The drawers can go in the sides, the bottom rails can be used as a support for a 'shelf'
It will be a lot stronger and stiffer than having a centre support.

That's my thinking done for the day Big Grin
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

PS. The colour looks good Rotfl

Dave,

You may be right but is that necessary for the weight this bench is going to see? I don't mind over engineering to an extend for safety but when does it become overkill? Chin

I certainly don't want to discourage discussion about this. One can't have too much information when making a decision.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Ed, it was really an alternative suggestion to using those mid vertical pieces and doubling up on the bottom rail.
Also if it was a stationary bench then I wouldn't bother with the 45deg bracing.

I'll take a photo of my heavy duty bench just to show I do practice what I preach Big Grin
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: EdK
(09-23-2013, 05:23 PM)EdK Wrote: One can't have too much information when making a decision.
Ed
Actually Ed, one can have too much information. Dave's table serves his purpose mine serves mine. I can't imagine ever putting a weight load on it that would cause it to fail but I'm sure there exists a load that'll test it.
In the end, you'll decide and it'll work for you. Worthy
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
They are just choices (not decisions) and it is always nice to have a choice Smile
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
All good points. Thanks guys. Smiley-signs024

Ed
Thanks given by:
Ed will you be able to lift anything that high that would ever tax the structure?
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Here's my heavy duty table. Has a 3 ton arbor press sitting on it at the moment.

It is not just the static load -what happens when it is moved about.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(09-23-2013, 07:22 PM)f350ca Wrote: Ed will you be able to lift anything that high that would ever tax the structure?

Hell no!
If I ever need to weld something that heavy I'll set it on the garage floor to weld.

Ed
Thanks given by: