Making A Welding Table
Good! If that table is wobbly I'll eat my words! (I've had to do it before Rotfl).
So, guys, it's on to the step by step photos! Thumbsup
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Actually, it's on to welding up my welder cart. It's going to be made out of 1.25" square tubing, 14 gauge. Good practice for welding up the welding table. I only wish I had a welding table to weld up the welder cart. Chin

Ed
Thanks given by:
(09-24-2013, 06:32 PM)EdK Wrote: Actually, it's on to welding up my welder cart. It's going to be made out of 1.25" square tubing, 14 gauge. Good practice for welding up the welding table. I only wish I had a welding table to weld up the welder cart. Chin

Ed

Aw, the old chicken or the egg.
Sounds like this place, building grinders to make cutters to make racks, to make plasma tables, which would have been nice to have when I was building the grinder.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
VERY familiar situations! Smiley-signs064
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Did you ever build this welding table Ed??

I noticed that one of the search engines was showing as printing this thread and decided to take a look!
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Certainly not a permanent solution but for $45 with a 25% off coupon plus tax, some time to fight thru the useless instructions and put it together, plus some slightly higher quality washers to replace the paper thin ones they sent with the unit I did not think this turned out to be a bad a deal ... http://www.harborfreight.com/adjustable-...61369.html ...

If you're over 6 feet tall it might be a little low but for me it is a reasonable height. It folds up so it is out of the way ... which my bigger table certainly does not do and has regretfully become a horizontal storage area. The portable table seems to be reasonably robust and at least allows you to weld someplace other than on the garage floor.

The other "light weight welding table" I have used is to throw a welding blanket over one of my portable workmate tables. Again it gets the job done in a pinch and prevents the workmate wood surfaces from going up in smoke.
Thanks given by:
(04-17-2014, 07:50 AM)Mayhem Wrote: Did you ever build this welding table Ed??

I noticed that one of the search engines was showing as printing this thread and decided to take a look!

Not yet. I got a quote for the steel for the top last fall and didn't have the money for it so the project is in holding mode. If it ever decides to warm up I'll get going on the welder cart followed by the welding table.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(04-17-2014, 09:22 AM)arvidj Wrote: Certainly not a permanent solution but for $45 with a 25% off coupon plus tax, some time to fight thru the useless instructions and put it together, plus some slightly higher quality washers to replace the paper thin ones they sent with the unit I did not think this turned out to be a bad a deal ... http://www.harborfreight.com/adjustable-...61369.html ...

If you're over 6 feet tall it might be a little low but for me it is a reasonable height. It folds up so it is out of the way ... which my bigger table certainly does not do and has regretfully become a horizontal storage area. The portable table seems to be reasonably robust and at least allows you to weld someplace other than on the garage floor.

The other "light weight welding table" I have used is to throw a welding blanket over one of my portable workmate tables. Again it gets the job done in a pinch and prevents the workmate wood surfaces from going up in smoke.

Thanks for that Arvid! I think I'll order one of those now that they're on sale. I would never pay the normal price of $150 but at $60 it's worth it to have a portable table.

Ed
Thanks given by:
They have a 25% off any one item on Easter Sunday coupon on their home page. Print it out and while looking for Easter Eggs stop by and pick up a table for only $45.

Shipping appears to be only $6.99, it appears as though you can use the coupon online, you still have to pay the tax the same as if you went to the Minneapolis store, but at least you don't have to ACTUALLY go to the store!

I had heard they are back ordered online but the St. Paul store had three available when I called them. Don't know about current stock in either store but they'll tell you if you call with the part number.

And you will most likely have two screws left over when you are done putting it together. Other have suggested the same issue and I have no clue where they might go.
Thanks given by:
(04-17-2014, 02:08 PM)arvidj Wrote: They have a 25% off any one item on Easter Sunday coupon on their home page. Print it out and while looking for Easter Eggs stop by and pick up a table for only $45.

Shipping appears to be only $6.99, it appears as though you can use the coupon online, you still have to pay the tax the same as if you went to the Minneapolis store, but at least you don't have to ACTUALLY go to the store!

I had heard they are back ordered online but the St. Paul store had three available when I called them. Don't know about current stock in either store but they'll tell you if you call with the part number.

And you will most likely have two screws left over when you are done putting it together. Other have suggested the same issue and I have no clue where they might go.

I ordered it this afternoon and then I realized I probably could have found a 20% off coupon and got it even cheaper. At $6.99 for shipping, it would cost me more in gas money to drive to one of the stores so I ordered it online. Hopefully they have some in stock at the warehouse.

Ed
Thanks given by: