Welders whatya got?
(03-24-2012, 09:21 AM)EdAK Wrote: I have a Millermatic 180 that I suck at using. I really need to find a local welder that can show me the ropes.

Ed

Sounds like Bob needs to make a road trip! Big Grin

Seriously though - like so many things... practice, practice, practice makes the best teacher.
Willie
Thanks given by:
(03-24-2012, 08:42 PM)Highpower Wrote:
(03-24-2012, 09:21 AM)EdAK Wrote: I have a Millermatic 180 that I suck at using. I really need to find a local welder that can show me the ropes.

Ed

Sounds like Bob needs to make a road trip! Big Grin

Seriously though - like so many things... practice, practice, practice makes the best teacher.

OK, you guys are going to have to be my mentors. It's warm enough now that I can get out to the garage and start practicing my welding. I have flux core wire and gas shielded wire. I have 75/25 gas. I have Lincoln and Hobart wire. I'll post my pathetic welds so you guys can tell me what I'm doing wrong. I'd rather Bob made a road trip but that's asking a lot. Big Grin

Ed
Thanks given by:

Quote: I'd rather Bob made a road trip but that's asking a lot. Big Grin

Ed

I just got off the phone with a guy in Va (10:30 pm) that is having trouble welding aluminum. He sent me some of his sample parts to try so i welded them and took some pics for him to see. I have no problems traveling and really love Minnesota since i worked up there 25 years ago...Bob
Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Birthplace of the Silver and Deming drill bit.
5 Lathes, SBL Shaper, Lewis Mill, 7 drill presses, 5 welders...
Thanks given by:
This is an interesting post, thanks Bob!!!

But as usual i have a question!!!

I am looking at a MIG welder.
No 220V available.

Does anyone have any insight into using a 110V welder and what the results are?
There are too many mixed reviews out there...
A friend has a Millermatic that can weld anything and it is sweet to use.
He also swears by it but i don't have close on $4000 to spend on an occasional use welder...

Andrew
A proud member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.

1959 Myford ML7,1949 South Bend 9A,Clausing 8520 mill,Keller Die filer,1929 Rhodes Shaper.
Thanks given by:
(03-28-2012, 08:26 AM)lazylathe Wrote: This is an interesting post, thanks Bob!!!

But as usual i have a question!!!

I am looking at a MIG welder.
No 220V available.

He also swears by it but i don't have close on $4000 to spend on an occasional use welder...

Andrew

Andrew,

You don't need to spend anywhere near $4000 to get a 110V welder. Here are some links to a Millermatic 140 and the bottom link is to a Hobart 140. Both welders are made by the same company. The Miller brand is the more industrial brand and the Hobart is the lower end for light industrial and hobby use. I got a Millermatic 180 but I suck at welding so can't give you a review of Miller products other than the fact that it seems to be universally agreed that Miller is one of the better brands out there, amongst others.

http://www.welders-direct.com/mm5/mercha...ode=907335
http://www.aocweldingsupply.com/millerma...-60hz-1ph/
http://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/se...TIC/Detail

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/p..._200306073

Ed
Thanks given by:
My welders …

A Lincoln Power Mig 300 with a bottle of 90-8-2 attached to it, the standard Magnum gun converted over to a Teflon liner for aluminum … a tenuous arrangement at best … and an assortment of Binzel guns for steel. I’ve been looking for a push-pull gun for aluminum but have just not found one in my price range yet.

A Miller Dynasty 350 Tig with water cooler.

An ESAB “un welder” … that would be an 875 plasma cutter.

And a set of oxy-acetylene torches.

What is seriously lacking is the time to become good at using any of them.
Thanks given by:
(03-28-2012, 02:03 PM)arvidj Wrote: What is seriously lacking is the time to become good at using any of them.

Arvid,

Smiley-signs009 I can certainly relate to that!

Ed
Thanks given by:
(03-24-2012, 10:12 PM)aametalmaster Wrote: I have no problems traveling and really love Minnesota since i worked up there 25 years ago...Bob

I can't believe I missed seeing this post.

Bob,

Does that mean your making a trip to Minnesota?
(Just kidding, of course). Smile

Ed
Thanks given by:
(03-28-2012, 08:26 AM)lazylathe Wrote: I am looking at a MIG welder.
No 220V available.

Andrew
I have one of the Millermatic 140 machines (110 V) that I use for outside work since it is portable. It is a good welder for it's class. It will weld 14 gauge sheet running on a 15 amp circuit. If you want to weld on 1/8" - 3/16" steel it will need to be plugged into a 20 amp circuit.

The 110 volt machines are good for light duty / hobby welding and usually have a short duty cycle. (12 - 20% or so.) So a lot depends on what it is you plan on welding on most often....
Willie
Thanks given by:
My bad..... I failed to post pics. Whip

[Image: th_MillerMIGS.jpg] [Image: th_Syncrowave200.jpg]
Willie
Thanks given by: