Shapers who else has one?
I visit a friend's shop regularly and he has a 36" Cincinnati from the late 1960's or early 70's sitting there. He says they use it very rarely and I would offer him money for it if I have any place to put the behemoth. I'll see if I can can a photo of the beast the next time I'm there.

I learned to run them with a 16" Gould & Eberhart back in my junior year of trade school. We learned those AFTER I'd done first year bench and gear head lathes and sophmore year of turret lathes and NC (not CNC) milling. I've always apprecited what they can do, but almost never see them used in commercial shops anymore. Two exceptions were that friend's place of employment and a maker of adjustable reamers I got to visit. They use shapers to rough out the HSS blades for the reamers.
Thanks given by:
My Havir 8" "Shape-Rite" is still sitting in a corner waiting for repairs. I'm begining to think I'll never find parts (used) for it so I'll seek out a Vulcan that can weld cast iron well.
I used the shaper very infrequently for things like internal splines and a round rack I cut for a special app.
I have learned, however, that some pretty nice finishes can be produced i.e. Rob's grinder like stuff!
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(03-25-2012, 07:03 PM)PixMan Wrote: I visit a friend's shop regularly and he has a 36" Cincinnati from the late 1960's or early 70's sitting there.

That thing must weight a ton, or more. Jawdrop

Ed
Thanks given by:
I got a 36" Cincy Shaper from work. I called my kid who brought over a 1 ton Ford with a 12' bed and that shaper filled that truck. I didn't think it was ever going to quit going down. But the price was right FREE. Took it to where my son worked and never saw it again...Bob
Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Birthplace of the Silver and Deming drill bit.
5 Lathes, SBL Shaper, Lewis Mill, 7 drill presses, 5 welders...
Thanks given by:
Hi Bob, 36" Cincinnati shaper for free is a lot of great iron for free! :)
I have a 24" that I restored about a year ago.

[Image: _DSC5604z.jpg]

[Image: _DSC5592.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Toolcat, Welcome

Welcome to MetalworkingFun Smile

Very nice shaper, beautiful. Smiley-signs107 You did a very nice restore job on that. Smile

The mill don't look bad eitherSmile
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Nice looking machines ToolCat. If I may ask, what area of Nebraska are you in?

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:
ToolCat,

Beautiful job on the shaper restoration. Someday I'm going to have a shaper. Not one that big but a shaper none the less. Smile

Ed
Thanks given by:
Thanks Dave, Ron and Ed!
Ron, I'm in Kearney. Are you close?
Thanks given by:
Stunning Toolcat Smiley-signs107

Looks like you have some very big bit of kit Drool

Rob
Thanks given by: