Need a project
Thumbs Up 
Hi Folks,
Finally got my mill in place, "wired" and ready for testing :)
Milling is all new to me, so anyone got a good starter project for me?
Just want to learn some basics, and learning by doing has always worked for me. I have some tooling that i got with the mill (i can post pics), but i dont know what all of them should be used for...
I have a lot of aluminum and brass laying around that i can use for practice.

This is the machine...old bench model.

[Image: 20140428-103719.jpg]
ironman, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2014.
Thanks given by:
Hi,
Have a read of this, it will give you a start. http://www.metalworkingfun.com/showthread.php?tid=776
Have a look in the "How to's"
Then have ago - we all had to learn how to mill, none of us where born with the ability to use a milling machine.
Like you say 'learning by doing' is often the best way. Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Then, have a look in the Video section http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25
May be Doubleboost or TomG could point you to some videos they have done.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Hi again,
Perhaps the most important thing to understand about milling is, what is meant by Climb Milling You really need to know what it is and why some of us don't do it as a rule.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:

John
Thanks given by:
My tutorial on building a set of stack blocks is an excellent project for the budding millwright, if I may say so myself. Big Grin

I designed it with with the beginning machinist in mind and it includes many common machining operations on mostly the mill, but some on the lathe as well. The good thing is that when you are done building them, they are something that you'll use almost every time you fire up the mill.

Stack Block Tutorial

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(04-29-2014, 05:13 PM)TomG Wrote: .............. excellent project for the budding millwright,
Tom

Tom, he wants to be a miller not a millwright Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(04-29-2014, 05:38 PM)DaveH Wrote:
(04-29-2014, 05:13 PM)TomG Wrote: .............. excellent project for the budding millwright,
Tom

Tom, he wants to be a miller not a millwright Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

That's what I get for typing faster than I think (and I'm no typist). That should have been mill HAND.
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Tee nuts. He needs to make some tee nuts. Smile
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys. Many good advices. (Im reading as much as possible).
Since i am a total noooob when it comes to milling, i will start by taking pics of my tools and maybe you can tell me what the different types are used for Cool
Then i`ll find a proper piece of metal - think i have some nice pieces of aluminum, and i can try something really easy to start with. Just making slots or something.
I`ll post pics in here later today, just need to finish a day at work behind my computer, helping my wifes father to trailer an old Piaggio Ape to my workshop and towing home my old Ferguson TEF tractor - then diving deep into the secrets of milling in my little shop Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
ironman, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2014.
Thanks given by: