Question for the mates in the UK.
(10-11-2014, 06:47 AM)stevec Wrote: Aside from facing I've run into problems just turning a smaller diameter due to toolholder size.

Smiley-eatdrink004

Smiley-signs009
Thanks given by:
(10-11-2014, 06:47 AM)stevec Wrote: Aside from facing I've run into problems just turning a smaller diameter due to toolholder size.

Smiley-eatdrink004

Same here Steve. In fact that is how I gouged the original live center that came with my lathe in my "early years".  Big Grin
Working on the end of a small diameter shaft, and being so focused on not undercutting the shaft I completely forgot about not running the right side of the tool into the center as the lathe was running.  Slaphead
Lesson learned!  Blush

I had to make a special "stud" the other day and really wished I had that half center. Basically just a long 1/4" rod with different threads at each end. (20/24 TPI) In order to get the length of thread I needed I had to have quite of bit of rod sticking out from the chuck due to the width of my tool holder. The resulting spring back was a pain to deal with while threading. Having a half center to support the end of the rod (with needed clearance) would have made the job much easier. I "cheated" on the 1/4"-20 end and finished it with a threading die to save time. Couldn't do that on the 24 TPI end though...
Willie
Thanks given by:
Now the quest for a "live" half centre begins. Rotfl

Smiley-eatdrink004
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
[Image: You_funny_guy.gif]

Big Grin 
Willie
Thanks given by: