Tool Log - Database
I inherited most of my father's tools a few years back (he was a career mechanic) and I wanted to ensure I had a comprehensive list, primarily for insurance. Initially I used Excel and entered all the tools but then decided I wanted something more usable.

So over the past couple of years I have slowly been working on an Access database, which allows up to 2 photographs to be displayed with each item, as well as several documents (user manual, exploded diagrams etc). It has taken a long time to develop and I have had to get a help from others on an Access forum but it is now running pretty well. I haven't designed any reports yet but there is a really nice search function.

I have decided to make it available (and have done so on another forum) and you can download it HERE. The database is split (into a front end and rear end), meaning that the data is stored separate to the user interface. This has two advantages: first, it facilitates updating of the user interface, without the risk of losing data. Second, in enables the rear end to be located on a network, with multiple user interfaces being able to simultaneously accessing the data. I have written a basic user guide, which I hope will be helpful. It has pictures (I know how you like pictures)!
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Thanks Mayhem that is very usefulSmileSmileSmile
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Thanks Darren. That will be very useful for a lot of us. Smiley-signs107

Ed
Thanks given by:
You bet that will help both in case of theft also for the xyl in case of my passing, I would hate to see her sell everything off at giveaway pricing because she did not have an idea of the value. The only member of my family that would help her sell it off would probably buy it himself for less than 10 cents on the dollar and even at auction she would at least have an idea what things should bring. tom
Logan 10x26" lathe
SIEG 12x40" lathe
RongFU 45 clone mill
6" import band saw
Baldor Grinder
thousand of tools+tooling pieces 40 yrs of collecting
Thanks given by:
Tom - this is one of the reasons I decided to share it. It actually didn't occur to me that anyone else would be interested in it until I read a post elsewhere that a number of people were concerned that their wives or children would be burdened, or ripped off should they inherit their tools and equipment. I was actually surprised to see it has been the most downloaded file on that particular site.
Thanks given by:
Hey Darren,

Does this only work with Microsoft Access??
I have Office 2010 and do not see Access anywhere...
Maybe i am missing something?

Andrew
A proud member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.

1959 Myford ML7,1949 South Bend 9A,Clausing 8520 mill,Keller Die filer,1929 Rhodes Shaper.
Thanks given by:
Hi Andrew. Yes the database runs in Access. Do you have the Office 2010 installation disc? If so put it in your computer and see if you can install it from there. It may not have been installed the first time around. Also, it was possible to purchase Office without Access installed. I know some institutions do this and only purchase Access for those who need it.
Thanks given by:
So, who has had a play? What do you think? Did it work? Did it do what you expected? All comments welcome.
Thanks given by:
I haven't SlapheadSlapheadSlaphead

I am waiting for my dear Son to come and put Access on for me - he has the disc. Well they are his anyway.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(03-11-2012, 09:14 AM)Mayhem Wrote: So, who has had a play? What do you think? Did it work? Did it do what you expected? All comments welcome.

Not yet but I'll give it a try today.

Ed
Thanks given by: