Peerless Shaper
In a never ending search for things we don't really need I ran across this shaper on Kijiji.
An internet search doesn't turn up much on it.
Emailed the chap, he figures I'd need a 5000 lb trailer to haul it and is asking $500.

[Image: $_27.JPG]

Would certainly be stiffer than my over worked little Logan. And can probably sell the Logan for more than he's asking, (if I gave the poor thing a cleaning)
Any one ever heard of Peerless Machine or their shapers?

Thanks
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Never had heard of them but it does look far more robust than a Logan. Does it have a vise to fit? if not, those are getting quite cheap, relative to a Kurt 6" even though they're bigger and heavier.
Thanks given by:
if I was looking at it I'd have him plug it in and run it first. pretty nice looking shaper be nicer if it had a shaper vise on it.

you shouldn't have any trouble getting more then what this guy wants for the logan.
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Probably be hard finding a vice in Canada if it doesn't have one.
Tried calling tonight but no answer, see how it goes.
Will definitely want to hear it run, expect it will be quieter than the Logan, it has a chain drive and the reeves drive, not a silent combination.

Thanks
Greg
Thanks given by:
my little 7 inch delta purrs like a kitten when running, I have the original vise on it, the big one I wasn't so lucky to get a vise with it.

16 18 inch shaper can pull a lot of metal off fast even if they look like there running slow as molassas
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
No experience with a Peerless, but I do have a 7" Rhodes.

If I had unlimited shop space, I'd **totally* go after that. I love me some shaper action. The Rhodes is a bit small for my needs, though.
Thanks given by:
Finally got the chap on the phone. Think he bought the property and the shaper was included. Doesn't think there is a vice but didn't know what one looked like. Guess we're going on a 2 hour drive Wednesday to have a look.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Road trip! Good luck Greg.

Ed
Thanks given by: f350ca
Looks like we're the proud owners of 4000 +/- pounds of cast iron. When the chap moved it from one building to another he had to pick up a big rock in the backhoe bucket to counterbalance the shaper on the forks out front. Its about the size I expected, the photos he posted made it look small.
Quality control and Nova stepped in for a size comparison.
[Image: IMG_1844.jpg]

No vice and there was no single phase power in this building to power it up? All the gears look good and the ram moves fine so we took a gamble. Got it for $400, about twice scrap price, so not a huge gamble.
Now hav to figure out how to get it home.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Good grief, that thing is huge. Yikes

Ed
Thanks given by: