Heat treat furnace
Friend of a friend, is selling a small heat treat furnace. It's an older manual control Thermolyne type 1400 bench top unit. I asked if it "works" and the answer was "yes..... but the temperature gauge doesn't."   Chin  I am getting all this through my buddy (middle man) who I trust, but I have not actually seen this furnace or verified that it operates.

At $200 I think I am going to take a chance on it. It looks very clean and doesn't appear to have been abused. So the question is - is it worth "fixing" the original temp gauge display? Would it be too expensive to convert it over to digital control?   Smiley-signs028

.jpg   image3.jpg (Size: 15.09 KB / Downloads: 141)
Willie
Thanks given by:
Hi Willie  Smile

I have a similar furnace , interesting idea converting it to digital  Chin   watching with interest .

Rob
Thanks given by:
Cheers Rob. I was thinking of something like what Tom built for his anodizing system. Although I have no idea if they even make a PID / SSR controller in the range that would be needed. 2100°F ? 17428

Never built one before so I don't have a clue. Blush

But I'm also thinking it might be cheaper than trying to find original replacement parts. Chin
Willie
Thanks given by:
Hi Willie 

just a brain fart , maybe a pottery suppliers may have what you need , those mad potters make their own kilns  Big Grin

Rob
Thanks given by: Highpower
HURRY LAST ONE !  Rotfl

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RKC-REX-C100-P...xyoMxSKOVj

Rob
Thanks given by:
Will it be big enough for at least 90% of the hardening work you do?

I've been contemplating a heat treat oven to support my budding knife-making hobby. Properly deep ovens are hard to come by.

Watching the control discussion with interest -- building the box is a walk in the park for me, but those tricky electrons... different story. :)
Thanks given by:
Here you go Willie. Up to 1300C.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PID-Digital-Temp...1310494801

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Temperat...1459368704

Ed
Thanks given by: Highpower
Thanks for the links guys. Smiley-eatdrink004

At least now I know it's "do-able". But being a typical lazy American I would want a controller that reads out in Fahrenheit so I know immediately what I'm looking at. Conversion chart? Ain't no body got time for dat!!! Rotfl

I won't even get to see the furnace until next week. So I don't know exactly how big it is, or what voltage / amperage it runs on. Probably good information to have before I go ordering a controller set-up. Big Grin

I don't need anything too big so I think it will be fine for me. I think any furnace will be a big improvement over using my oxy/acet torches. Blush
Willie
Thanks given by:
I'd take it in a flash if you decide you aren't going to!

Just the box, bricks and heaters alone are well worth the money, upgrading the controller just adds value. Feel free to call or text me anytime you might need a Cº to Fº conversion, I got the app for that on my phone. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(12-01-2015, 10:26 PM)Highpower Wrote: Thanks for the links guys.   Smiley-eatdrink004

At least now I know it's "do-able". But being a typical lazy American I would want a controller that reads out in Fahrenheit so I know immediately what I'm looking at. Conversion chart? Ain't no body got time for dat!!!  Rotfl

I won't even get to see the furnace until next week. So I don't know exactly how big it is, or what voltage / amperage it runs on. Probably good information to have before I go ordering a controller set-up.   Big Grin

I don't need anything too big so I think it will be fine for me. I think any furnace will be a big improvement over using my oxy/acet torches.   Blush

buy yourself a PID controller and switch it so it reads Fahrenheit
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by: