ER-40 Collet Chuck For My Lathe
I know I've shown the ER-40 collet chuck in another thread but this thread will document my attempt at getting it installed on the lathe with a reasonable degree of accuracy. I just ordered some of these:

So I can use this:

Now I just need to mate the chuck to the lathe and that's where I'm going to need some help. Questions will be asked once I actually start the project.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(09-07-2012, 04:05 PM)EdK Wrote: I know I've shown the ER-40 collet chuck in another thread but this thread will document my attempt at getting it installed on the lathe with a reasonable degree of accuracy. I just ordered some of these:

So I can use this:

Now I just need to mate the chuck to the lathe and that's where I'm going to need some help. Questions will be asked once I actually start the project.

Ed

Looking forward to it Smiley-dancenanaSmiley-dancenana
John
Thanks given by:
John,

Me too. At first I thought I would need at least one collet to install the chuck on the lathe just to measure run-out. After smacking myself in the head a few times I realized I can, and should, indicate off of the ER taper on the collet chuck. So now I don't need to wait for the collets to arrive before I begin the project.

Ed
Thanks given by:
OK, here is what I've got so far. D1-4 cam lock adapter plate installed on the lathe.

ER-40 chuck that needs to be attached to D1-4 adapter plate.

I marked the pin location on the D1-4 adapter plate so I can put it back on the spindle the same way each time.

I assume my next step is to turn down the adapter plate for a snug fit to the recess on the back side of the ER-40 chuck. Agreed?

Ed
Thanks given by:
Agreed!

Make sure you take at least a clean skin chip off the face too, for assurance of both radial and axial runout being minimal.

Machine the OD so the collet chuck is a very snug fit at first. Check runout of the ER taper at that fitment, and if it's not true you'll need to take off the equivalent of 2X the measured runout to have enough clearance to "tap it in" to true before you really clamp it down.
Thanks given by: EdK
Ed,
I'm just wondering is the collet chuck hardened?
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
It should be somewhat hard, in the 42Rc to 48Rc range, for wear resistance. You don't want it much over 50Rc because it could shatter like glass if you had an "oops". That would be disastrous with a rotating chuck.
Thanks given by:
Ed, your lathe looks new are you just starting to get it tooled up? Good project , waiting on the resultsPopcorn
Thanks given by:
(09-08-2012, 07:26 AM)DaveH Wrote: Ed,
I'm just wondering is the collet chuck hardened?
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Dave,

I assume it has to be somewhat hard to take the wear but I don't know exactly what hardness it is. I got it from Jeff at tools4cheap.net and he has a reputation for selling good stuff so I think it should be a good quality tool.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(09-08-2012, 08:07 AM)pineyfolks Wrote: Ed, your lathe looks new are you just starting to get it tooled up? Good project , waiting on the resultsPopcorn

Piney,

No, the lathe is not new. I got it a little over three years ago. It's pretty well tooled up for my needs. I just didn't have a collet system for it so I got the ER-40 collet chuck for it. I also plan on making a 5C collet closer for it so I can also use my 5C collets on it also.

Ed
Thanks given by: