Making An Outboard Spider
I've seen these called spiders, cat eyes and cat heads. I decided to call it a spider since Mr Google told me that's what most people call them, correct or not. Smile

Here's the drawing I started out with.

Ed

Thanks given by:
Some pictures of the progress so far.

Starting hole drilled.

Boring on one end done.

Turning the OD.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I've seen the posts of you and Tom working on them but haven't a clue as to what they're for. But then clueless isn't uncommon for me. Nice work, what ever they are.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(09-24-2012, 12:53 PM)f350ca Wrote: I've seen the posts of you and Tom working on them but haven't a clew as to what they're for. But then clueless isn't uncommon for me. Nice work, what ever they are.

Rotfl

Greg,

Mine will be used on the outboard end of the spindle to hold long stock through the spindle. I think Tom's will be used on the inboard side of the spindle since he turned a taper on his to match his spindle taper, but I'll let him verify that.

Clear as mud?

Ed
Thanks given by:
Ed, my Lux-Matter lathe came with a threaded "bushing" for the outboard (left end of the spindle). The spindle was threaded internally for that purpose.
The "bushing had a couple of inserts and I assume the previous owner had sized the inserts for the sizes of the material they worked.
Of course an adjustable one like you're making would be more suited to our varying non-production needs.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Steve,

Most lathes I've seen have either the ID or OD of the spindle threaded but my lathe has neither so it'll be a clamp style. I wish it was threaded because then I wouldn't have to remove the cover to install it. I'm incredibly lazy at times, that would be most times. Big Grin

Ed
Thanks given by:
(09-24-2012, 01:06 PM)EdK Wrote: Greg,

Mine will be used on the outboard end of the spindle to hold long stock through the spindle. I think Tom's will be used on the inboard side of the spindle since he turned a taper on his to match his spindle taper, but I'll let him verify that.

Clear as mud?

Ed

I'm actually making one for both ends of the spindle. The point contact of the set screws is less apt to distort something as long and skinny as a rifle barrel than trying to hold it with a collet or chuck.

Nice finish on your cat head Ed, what kind of steel are you using?

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(09-24-2012, 04:36 PM)TomG Wrote: Nice finish on your cat head Ed, what kind of steel are you using?

Tom

Thanks Tom. I'm not sure what type of steel it is. I thought at first it might be 12L14 but it's been sitting in my basement for years and had no rust on it so I'm questioning that since leaded steel will rust if you look at it the wrong way. I've been using carbide insert tooling to bore and turn it and when I do the final cut I set the autofeed for the finest cut. That makes a big difference in the finish.

Ed
Thanks given by:
This project sure did generate a lot of swarf.

All that's left is to drill and tap the holes for the screws.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(09-24-2012, 03:50 PM)EdK Wrote: Steve,
I'm incredibly lazy at times, that would be most times. Big Grin
Ed
Hardly incedible bud.
Good job!Thumbsup
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by: EdK