Kaleidoscope
Me! - completely lost Blush
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Let me help ya a little Dave. I generated the gears with this program. I just counted the teeth from the enlarges pictures. I substituted the distance I wanted between the teeth for the pitch. Play with the program, it;s fuin.

http://woodgears.ca/gear_cutting/template.html

"Billy G" Thumbsup
Thanks given by:
(10-30-2012, 07:05 PM)Bill Gruby Wrote: Hmmmm --- Either you are familiar with what is going on or you are completely lost ??? Smiley-think005

"Billy G"
Me too Dave, but I had to wait for sommeone else before I admitted it;Blush
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
OK -- Let's back up.I am going to build a Kaleidoscope that has weight driven optics. You will not have to turn the optics, the weight will do it. What you see so far is the print I made using the gears generated by the program. Another picture attache that I got all the info from. My Keidoscope is a clone of the one attached. There are no prints so I have to reverse engineer mine from the pix available.

Hope this clears it up some.

"Billy G"

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
That one has some amazing inlay work on the body. The gears appear to be wood, but I can't imagine making a roller chain out of it.

A number of years ago there was 30 year old guy who lived about 5 miles east of me, and we worked at the same company (Norton.) One day he won some $7.4M in the lottery, and retired at age 34 to engage in his new hobby....collecting kaliedoscopes. He made the local paper when he bought a few for tens of thousands of dollars and they showcased his collection. He died suddenly (don't know the circumstances), never married. I wonder what became of his collection. He would have had or bought one of those, for sure.
Thanks given by:
Ken-- The roller chain is indeed made from wood. If I were to venture a guess at a pecentage of materials other than wood that are in this project I would say no more than 5%. Nuts and bolts are wood. Gears are wood. There is not one fastener that is not wood.

"Billy G" Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Before I go further I left something important out. The design I am reverse engineereng is by J.R. Beall.

http://www.bealltool.com/jrbeall/

"Billy G" Blush
Thanks given by:
(11-01-2012, 07:47 AM)Bill Gruby Wrote: Before I go further I left something important out. The design I am reverse engineereng is by J.R. Beall.

http://www.bealltool.com/jrbeall/

"Billy G" Blush

I stumbled on that design on a wooden clock page last night. It looks like a fun project.

Garry's Clocks

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Thanks Bill,
I didn't know they had optics in them, I always thought it was all done by mirrors Rotfl
What parts will turn? Or which part will turn?
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
By optics I am referring to the object box at one end -- the part that turns Dave. You are correct about the mirrors. This scope will have 3 mirrors, all movable.

"Billy G" Big Grin
Thanks given by: