Converting a X2 clone to CNC
Hey guys, the electronics and Fusion CNC conversion kit I ordered has finally arrived for my Busy Bee X2. Over the next few weeks I will be converting it over to Cnc and will use this post to update and ask questions. I have removed the spring balance and replaced it with a counter weight many months ago in preparation for the conversion so that part is already done, I also converted it to belt drive at the same time.

The first of many photos, this was taken shortly after buying the mill.

[Image: qr0o.jpg]

Shawn
Shawn, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Nov 2013.
Thanks given by:
Shawn, if you get the chance, increase the Y-axis travel. I added almost 2" to mine, but I wish I'd added more.

The X2 mills make great little CNCs. I haven't done a lot on mine, but it's fun to watch it following a program I put together. Sometimes there are Jawdrop moments, but that's all part of the learning process.
Mike

If you can't get one, make one.

Hawkeye, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
I remember seeing the photos you posted Mike of the extension you built, that would be a great mod to make. It will have to be further done the road for me, I already have the ball screw. The CNC Fusion Kit is really nicely done and I think its great value for the price. The casting on my mill is another story, it's going to require some modifications to allow the axis to fit without binding. I can see where a real newby could get quickly overwhelmed trying to install the kit.

Shawn
Thanks given by:
The irony of using the most outdated tool in my shop to build the most technically advanced tool was not lost on me Big Grin I had to remove .125 from the side of the mounting block so the plate that mounts to the column would line up properly.

[Image: 3uvo.jpg]

The Z axis is installed and runs smoothly from top to bottom with no hint of binding. I did have to grind a bolt down (it was either that or enlarge a hole in the casting) but otherwise the Fusion kit fit better than I expected considering how many variations there are of these mills and how poor the casting quality can be. I'll finish up the other two axis tomorrow, I don't think they should require as much finagling.

[Image: k8p6.jpg]

Shawn
Thanks given by:
So I actually finished the other two axis last night. Only took an hour or so and everything fit nicely accept for the two cap head screws that hold the x axis lead screw nut in place. The heads needed to be cut off and a slit cut for a flat head screwdriver. Now I just have to figure out how all this gets wired up. That will have to wait till after the holidays though.

One question about my counterweight setup; the head is almost perfectly balanced, it takes the same pressure to lift it as it does to lower it. Will this be an issue when cutting? Do I want more downward pressure on the head or should the steppers be able to hold it?

[Image: zy6x.jpg]

Shawn
Thanks given by:
I didn't have much time today but did manage to build some swarf guards for the Y and Z axis. The Y axis is held in place with two magnets so accessing the lead screw is simple, the Z axis was boxed in as much as the casting would allow and is held in place with a single cap screw. I had never worked with aluminum sheet and a brake before but I can see that being incredibly useful in the future. Limit switches and the wiring left to go.

[Image: 0w58.jpg]

[Image: lob9.jpg]

Shawn
Thanks given by:
Being a closet computer geek I was pretty pleased to see a computer setup in my machine shop (I like that better than saying garage)

[Image: d18e.jpg]

Shawn
Thanks given by:
Shawn!

Looking good, and even better, making progress!!

Can't wait to see some chips flying!

Best Regards,
Russ
Thanks given by:
Thanks Russ, I'm just waiting on some 18/4 shielded wire and an emergency stop button to arrive in the mail. I bought a small tool box today on sale and will convert that to hold the power supply, breakout board etc. I'm hoping to see it in action soon, I do have a backlash issue with one of the ball nuts but hopefully the company will respond to my email soon and we can get that sorted. I don't think its a preload issue but I might be wrong?
Thanks given by:
I saw an item on the net once that mentioned replacing the balls with a size bigger to tighten it up. Apparently, you can order loose ball bearings in very specific sizes.
Mike

If you can't get one, make one.

Hawkeye, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by: